Wednesday 25 February 2009

Salt Beef Bar

The Greek Cypriot owners

Chicken Soup


Salt beef on rye is a joy to behold and even more so to savour.

-----

The unimaginatively named Salt Beef Bar is located in Temple Fortune, an irreproachably bland area that’s sandwiched between Golders Green and the loveless North Circular.

This little unassuming café has been around for as long as I care to resolve and it was certainly there ten years ago when I lived in Finchley.

I’ve come to accept that a Salt Beef sandwich is never going to be cheap, except perhaps the bagel variety found at Brick Lane Beigel Bakery.

To date this wonderful place serves a sandwich that’s as good as my reference standard at Selfridges’ Brass Rail.

There’s absolutely nothing to comment on the tiny restaurant inside, it’s a caff; one goes in and munch and exit in no time, nothing more and certainly nothing less.

The assured sandwich that’s worth a pilgrimage. Despite the unadorned nature of the plating, the beef was quite literally lip-smackingly delightful. Although belying its simplicity, the triumvirate of the beef, rye bread and loads of mustard (English please!) figures in my top five for fast and equally comforting food.

The must order side of potato latkes completed the lunch nicely. The ones here are more like croquettes, generously seasoned with pepper and lovingly crunchy on the outside.

Great snacking grub.

Do pay this place a visit if you’re passing by, I’m confident you’ll love it.

NB Don’t turn up on Fridays, as they’ll be shut with the Shabbat being observed. Secondly this place is not supervised, i.e. not Kosher.

2 Monkville Parade, Finchley Road, London NW11

7 comments:

Helen said...

oh my goodness! I HAVE to go here! I am a sandwich obsessive. That is one mighty salt beef sarnie and definitely worth the trip I reckon.

bellaphon said...

Helen- There's something fundamentally right with the simplicity of the Salt Beef Sandwich. (For the best bespoke butties, you can't beat J+A Cafe or Lantana)

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. I have often passed it but never dropped in. I will be sure and give it a try.

Once upon a time my standard measure for salt beef sandwishes was Blooms on Golders Green Road. I went about a month ago and could
not believe how much it had changed. The prices are now in line with Selfridges but the taste was so disappointing I vowed never to go back.

bellaphon said...

Anon- Thanks for stopping. Blooms; they have lost the plot ever since they moved from Whitechapel.

Raphael said...

I went to Selfridge's recently, expecting it to be great and I have to say the salt beef there does not match what you can get in Temple Fortune! (And it costs about 50% more).

This place is far cheaper than Bloom's or Reuben's and much, much better!! Long live the Salt Beef Bar.

Also their salads are very tasty.

Anonymous said...

Lovely place, and owners. A real classic venue that's lasted, not many of these places left!
Had a sandwich with mustard and a Gerkhin. Really filled the spot, soft, moist beef with lovely Rye.

Don't have to have it on sandwich either, salads, and other sides available. Must try that next time! Already planning my next visit...

William Halpern said...

Great piece, great photos...love this place and it's still going strong as of June 2021, having family take away tonight!! Long may it continue.